Zoom is the video conferencing program the Labour Relations Board (the Board) is currently using to conduct online hearings, mediations, and informal settlement processes (proceedings). If you haven’t used Zoom before, this information will help you prepare so you can participate fully in the proceeding.
Before the Proceeding
You must make sure that you are able to use Zoom to attend a Board proceeding.
You will need the following:
- A computer with a functional video camera/webcam, microphone and speakers (or headphones). You must make sure that you are able to see and hear the proceeding, and that you can be seen and heard by the other participants.
- f you don’t have a computer or your computer does not have a video camera/webcam or microphone and you are unable to get one, you may use your mobile device (e.g. smart phone or tablet) however it is strongly recommended you use a computer.
- Stable private internet access. Do not use public Wi-Fi to attend the proceeding.
- Zoom Client for Meetings installed on your computer or mobile device. You can download and install this program for free from Zoom’s website.
- A private room where you can attend the proceeding. You must be alone when you participate in a Board proceeding.
- Make sure you have a way to contact the people in your party in case you have technical issues during the proceeding. This may mean that you keep the phone numbers of your party on hand.
The Board will send you an invitation (meeting ID) and password to access the proceeding. For security purposes, do not share the meeting ID and password. If someone else wants to attend the proceeding, ask them to email the Board.
Joining the Proceeding
10 minutes before a Board proceeding is scheduled to start:
- Go to https://zoom.us/join.
- Enter the meeting ID and click Join.
You may have to wait a few minutes for the Board to start the online meeting. Once the online meeting starts, the Board will place you in an online waiting room until the proceeding is ready to start.
During the Proceeding
- You can’t get up and leave your computer during the proceeding. Make sure you have everything you need, such as a glass of water or a phone in case you need to contact your party due to technical issues.
- Remember that you must remain visible at all times. Please dress accordingly and attend the proceeding from an appropriate location with good lighting. You are not allowed to use a virtual background.
- Make sure that you remain alone while you participate in the proceeding.
- The Board will conduct the proceeding and tell you when you will speak. Do not interrupt others and put yourself on mute when you are not speaking.
- If you are not using your phone to call into the meeting, put your phone on silent.
- If you have technical issues preventing you from accessing the proceeding, contact your party right away.
- The Board prohibits recording of proceedings. Do not record any part of the proceeding – this includes taking screen shots, and recording conversations.
- Make sure that the computer or mobile device that you are using to attend the proceeding has enough battery power, or is plugged into a power source.
- Prior to the proceeding, make sure your speakers and microphone work. (Information on how to test your speakers and microphone can be found here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362283-Testing-computer-or-deviceaudio)
- Prior to the proceeding, make sure your video camera/webcam works. (Instructions on how to test your video camera/webcam can be found here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362313-How-Do-I-Test-My-Video-)
- If you have other technical questions or run into problems, go to Zoom’s help centre, which has useful information: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us